The name, “The Innovation Hub at Northwood School” merges the past with the present by nodding to the history of the building while incorporating the mission to prepare young people to be leaders in fields that innovate solutions to the challenges of our global community.
Constructed in 1915, the building was originally named “The Hub” and housed a furnishings store owned by Forrest B. Guild. The store sold menswear, furnishings, women’s shoes, sporting goods, campers’ supplies and children’s clothing. The building also housed a barber’s shop, an apartment, several offices and the laboratory of G.B. Merriam & Co.- a local business that was an innovator in the formulation and manufacturing of beauty creams.