Alpine Skiing Boarding School in Lake Placid, NY
Balance your time on the slopes and in the classroom with the ski academy atmosphere of Northwood School. With our high-quality curriculum and athletic opportunities, you don't need to choose between your passion for skiing and your desire for high-quality college-preparatory education — you can have both.
Whether you're interested in alpine racing, moguls, Nordic, ski jumping, or snowboarding, you can find the support you need as a student-athlete on our campus to fulfill your passion for excellence in sport and academics. Our leadership team and partners have fulfilled Olympic dreams and Northwood School can be the foundation to achieve greatness. As we say, it is "where possible happens."
What Sets Us Apart:
At Northwood School, we attract students from all over the country and from many parts of the world. Our diverse population of snow sport student-athletes enjoy the following benefits:
- Olympic and alpine industry experience and leadership from Tommy Biesemeyer, Director of Alpine Skiing
- Partnership with New York State Ski Education Foundation (NYSEF), a "Gold Certified Club"
- 85-acre campus in the world-renowned Olympic destination of Lake Placid
- Located minutes from Whiteface Mountain, the greatest vertical drop in the East
- Private school education with advanced curriculum and place-based learning
- Outdoor programming to experience the Adirondack Mountain wilderness
- Winter schedule, asynchronous teaching, and technology platform to support travel
- Strength and conditioning coach and on-site technician and tuning facility
- College counseling and placement to select schools for skiing
- Student and alumni achievements at the top level of sport to professional careers
Olympic Experienced Leadership
Northwood's Director of Alpine Skiing, Tommy Biesemeyer, joined Northwood after a storied racing career and 15 years of alpine racing, training, and coaching experience. A resident of Keene, New York, and known within the ski community as "B.Z.," Biesemeyer began skiing at the age of three and had his first race at age seven when he joined the New York Ski Education Foundation (NYSEF) program at Whiteface Mountain. At 12, Biesemeyer competed in J3 and J4 races but always had sights set on the U.S. Ski Team. A victory at the '03 Junior Olympics started him down that path, and he then made his World Cup debut in 2010 and the Olympic Team in 2018.
Intensive Ski Training at Northwood School
To help our student-athletes advance their skiing, we give them access to world-class training camps around the world and dryland training blocks on campus. As a day or boarding school student at Northwood School, you can enjoy the following:
- On-snow summer training camps in Oregon, Europe, and the Southern Hemisphere
- Dryland fall training blocks at the Northwood School campus
- On-snow training trips to Austria in October
- On-snow training trips to Colorado in November
- On-snow winter training at Whiteface Mountain an Olympic mountain and the site of championships such as the Nor-Am Cup, NCAA, USCSA, U.S. Nationals, and U16 Nationals
During the fall, you also have the opportunity to diversify by joining other co-curricular activities on our campus in Lake Placid, New York.
Partnerships to Boost Success on the Race Hill
Northwood School has a long-standing partnership with the New York Ski Education Foundation (NYSEF). Recognized as a "Gold Certified Club" by the US Ski & Snowboard, NYSEF is one of the organization's original eight Gold Club members, and the group has been a leader in snowsport education for nearly 50 years.
Through our partnership with NYSEF, we share experienced coaching staff and work together on dryland programs and on-snow training camps. NYSEF also provides student-athletes with lodge facilities and training opportunities at Whiteface Mountain, the Lake Placid Olympic Ski Jumping Complex, and Mount Van Hoevenberg in partnership with the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA).
Coaches to Support Skiing Development
Our committed coaching staff supports students as they compete from the U16 level through the regional championships, the U.S. Nationals, and beyond. Working together, our athletes and coaches develop a training and competition plan tailored to the student's personal goals.
Check out these achievements from Northwood ski-racers:
- Multiple individual US Eastern Championship U16 ski-racer titles
- Overall title in the U.S. Eastern Championships
- Northwood skiers on the podium at the U16 National Championships
- U19 skiers invited to U.S. Ski Team training camps
- Numerous alumni racing at the collegiate level on the EISA, NCAA, USCSA, and the Canadian RSEQ UNI FIS circuits
Notable alumni performing at the top level of the sport:
- Andrew Weibrecht '03 (USA), two-time Olympic medalist & five-time top-5 World Cup finisher in 2016
- Kevin Drury '06 (CAN), currently ranked 1st in the world in Ski-Cross
- Thomas Vonn '94, member of the U.S. Ski team '97-'05, 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake City
- Sarah Bennett, 2020-21 CAST NextGen Program Recognized Athletes, Ski Québec Alpin
Balancing Progress on Skis and in the Classroom
The staff at Northwood School work closely with our student-athletes to help balance their ski career and academic success. Coaches help athletes cultivate their potential on the race hill, while teachers help to support their academic progress during training camps and throughout the competitive season.
At Northwood School, our skiers enjoy a demanding training environment that is also fun, inclusive, and supportive. To foster the success of our student-athletes, we expect commitment, responsibility, and dedication at all levels both in coursework and training.
Ready to learn more about how Northwood School can help you achieve your personal, educational, and athletic goals? Then, contact us today.
Contact Elenor at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour or speak to an admission specialist.