Alpine Skiing Boarding School in Lake Placid, NY
Balance your time on the slopes and in the classroom with the ski academy atmosphere of Northwood School. With our high-quality curriculum and athletic opportunities, you don't need to choose between your passion for skiing and your desire for high-quality college-preparatory education — you can have both.
Whether you're interested in alpine racing, park and pipe, cross country, big mountain, or snowboarding, you can find the support you need as a student-athlete on our campus.
Virtual Alpine Skiing Admission Event
On Tuesday, January 19, 2021, we hosted a virtual open house for families interested in our private school alpine skiing program. To see our campus and learn about the skiing program, watch the recording or read the transcript here.
What Sets Us Apart:
At Northwood School, we attract students from all over the country and from many parts of the world. Our diverse student population enjoys the following benefits:
- Beautiful campus in the world-renowned Olympic destination of Lake Placid
- Located minutes from Whiteface Mountain, the greatest vertical drop in the East
- An engaging academic environment designed to prepare you for college and beyond
- Advanced curriculum and place-based learning
- College counseling and placement to select schools
- Academic flexibility and support to help you meet your ski training and competition goals
- Winter schedule, asynchronous teaching, and technology platform to support travel
- Outdoor programs that help you make the most of the Adirondack Mountains while connecting with fellow student-athletes, trainers, and educators
- Year-round training with dryland, camps, and advanced outdoor programs
- Partnership with NYSEF - a "Gold Certified Club"
Intensive Ski Training at Northwood School
To help our student-athletes advance their skiing, we give them access to world-class training camps around the world and dryland training blocks on campus. As a day or boarding school student at Northwood School, you can enjoy the following:
- On-snow summer training camps in Oregon, Europe, and the Southern Hemisphere
- Dryland fall training blocks at the Northwood School campus
- On-snow training trips to Austria in October
- On-snow training trips to Colorado in November
- On-snow winter training at Whiteface Mountain an Olympic mountain and the site of championships such as the Nor-Am Cup, NCAA, USCSA, U.S. Nationals, and U16 Nationals
During the fall, you also have the opportunity to diversify by joining other co-curricular activities on our campus in Lake Placid, New York.
Partnerships to Boost Success on the Race Hill
Northwood School has a long-standing partnership with the New York Ski Education Foundation (NYSEF). Recognized as a "Gold Certified Club" by the US Ski & Snowboard, NYSEF is one of the organization's original eight Gold Club members, and the group has been a leader in snowsport education for nearly 50 years.
Through our partnership with NYSEF, we share experienced coaching staff and work together on dryland programs and on-snow training camps. NYSEF also provides student-athletes with lodge facilities and training opportunities at Whiteface Mountain, the Lake Placid Olympic Ski Jumping Complex, and Mount Van Hoevenberg in partnership with the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA).
Coaches to Support Skiing Development
Our committed coaching staff supports students as they compete from the U16 level through the regional championships, the U.S. Nationals, and beyond. Working together, our athletes and coaches develop a training and competition plan tailored to the student's personal goals.
Check out these achievements from Northwood ski-racers:
- Multiple individual US Eastern Championship U16 ski-racer titles
- Overall title in the U.S. Eastern Championships
- Northwood skiers on the podium at the U16 National Championships
- U19 skiers invited to U.S. Ski Team training camps
- Numerous alumni racing at the collegiate level on the EISA, NCAA, USCSA, and the Canadian RSEQ UNI FIS circuits
Notable alumni performing at the top level of the sport:
- Andrew Weibrecht '03 (USA), two-time Olympic medalist & five-time top-5 World Cup finisher in 2016
- Kevin Drury '06 (CAN), currently ranked 11th in the world in Ski-Cross
Balancing Progress on Skis and in the Classroom
The staff at Northwood School work closely with our student-athletes to help balance their ski career and academic success. Coaches help athletes cultivate their potential on the race hill, while teachers help to support their academic progress during training camps and throughout the competitive season.
At Northwood School, our skiers enjoy a demanding training environment that is also fun, inclusive, and supportive. To foster the success of our student-athletes, we expect commitment, responsibility, and dedication at all levels both in coursework and training.
Ready to learn more about how Northwood School can help you achieve your personal, educational, and athletic goals? Then, contact us today.