Elite Boys' Hockey at Northwood School
The boys' hockey program at Northwood School includes two teams and has recently announced that it has joined forces to create the Prep Hockey Conference with six leading men's preparatory hockey-playing institutions for the 2021-2022 season. Our teams play between 40 and 50 games per season in the United States and Canada, and we provide our hockey players with personalized tools and coaching to help them reach their full potential in the rink and the classroom.
Northwood School's Elite Boys' Hockey Program
At Northwood School, student-athletes don't have to choose between success in sports or academics — We give our hockey players the support they need to excel both as athletes and as students. The top reasons families select our elite hockey program include the following:
- An accredited independent school with college placement counseling placement to select schools
- Located in the world-renowned destination of Lake Placid, New York
- Experienced full-time hockey coaches who support and educate families on the college application and recruitment process
- Year-round training with ample access to ice, the fitness center, and videos
- Extensive game schedule from September to April, focusing on top competitors and gaining exposure to college recruiters
- Training and home games at the Olympic Training Center, site of the legendary 1980 Miracle on Ice game
- Use of the U.S. Men's Olympic team locker room
- Member of the North American Prep Hockey Association (NAPHA)
- A USA Hockey 19U Tier-1 tournament-bound team
- A focus on success both in the classroom and on the road, supported by a flexible schedule, academic advisors, asynchronous teaching models, and a technology platform
- Advanced curriculum with honors and AP classes, STEAM courses, and place-based learning
- Two-hours from Albany and Montreal and five hours from New York City, Toronto, and Boston
Training During the Hockey Season
From September to April, our boys' hockey team is on the ice five to six days a week, honing their skills. Practices focus on game strategy and flow, body contact, crashing the net, and other essentials. We use cross-ice and small-area games to engage our players in drills that focus on building specific skill sets, and we also work on nurturing mental toughness, competitiveness, and endurance in all our players.
Year-Round Strength and Conditioning Programs
You may have heard the phrase "athletes are made in the offseason" and at Northwood, we firmly believe this sentiment. Our boys' hockey players don't just sit back and relax in their short off-season. Instead, we continue to provide them with training opportunities all year long so that they are always ready to get back on the ice.
We have a 12-month strength-and-conditioning program designed and run by a strength-and-conditioning specialist. Our hockey players also have full access to the on-campus fitness center, and we provide a comprehensive nutrition plan and guidance for our athletes while they are on campus and traveling.
Boys' Hockey Coaches
The success of our hockey program hinges on our quality coaching staff. Take a look at the credentials of our Junior Hockey Team coaches.
Chadd Cassidy, Head Coach Boys' Junior Hockey
Coach Cassidy came to Northwood School from the Rochester Americans in 2015, and in his time as head coach, our boys' hockey team has achieved the following:
- 174 wins, 30 losses, 11 ties
- Won the school's first-ever New York State Tier-1 18U Championship
- Placed 3rd at the National Championships
To put Coach Cassidy's win record into perspective, look at the Detroit Red Wings win-loss record in the 1995 to 1996 season. The Red Wings lost a higher percentage of games than our boys have under Coach Cassidy, and their record for that season is considered to be the best in National Hockey League (NHL) history.
Gino Riffle, Boys' Junior Hockey
In his 20+ years of coaching, Coach Riffle has earned the following accomplishments:
- Recruited and mentored 18 high school players who became Division 1 players
- Recruited and mentored four high school athletes who became NHL drafts
- Lead two teams to the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Small School Championships
- As athletic director of Rice Memorial, oversaw teams that won 19 state championship titles in three years
Opportunities for Boys' Hockey Players
Our boys' hockey program provides opportunities for our players to work past their comfort zones, expand their physical fitness, and build their self-confidence as they set and achieve goals both in hockey and academics. We accomplish these goals by focusing on training, proper techniques, and quality performance on the ice, while also encouraging our players to push themselves in the classroom and be leaders on the team and in the school community.
Objectives of the Boys' Hockey Program
At Northwood School, the objective of our boys' hockey program is to develop every player's skills and character, both on and off the ice, so that they can be successful in high school, college, and beyond. In our hockey program, boys gain the following:
- Enhanced development of hockey skills
- Deepened knowledge of the game
- Preparation to play at the college level
- Personal growth and expanded self-confidence
- The ability to set and work toward goals
- Leadership skills
If you are looking for a strong academic program and an elite hockey experience, Northwood School is the ideal choice. Our hockey program, as well as our other elite athletic programs, are designed specifically for individuals who want to develop their skills as people, students, and athletes.
Let Northwood School be the launching point of your hockey career, not the last stop. To learn more about our elite boys' hockey program or the rest of our school, contact us today. We look forward to setting up a tour and talking more with you about our school.