Northwood School plans to provide an in-person academic, residential, and co-curricular program for the 2021–2022 academic year. We will continue to communicate details in the coming months as our planning progresses. While state guidelines for schools have not been released, we expect the following for next school year:
- We will retire the term “cohort,” which we used to describe a group of students, organized by co-curricular interest, who lived together on a dorm hall, ate meals together, and trained together, without mixing with other cohorts. We aim to have school life fully integrated again, as it was before the pandemic.
- We will require all students to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Students, boarding and day, will attend in-person classes.
- Teachers will teach in person.
- Co-curricular programming, including competitive athletic competition and travel, will happen in person.
- Northwood's dormitory halls will integrate students from all co-curricular programs.
- Dining services expect to operate at full capacity and in pre-pandemic conditions.
2021–2022 School Calendar
The school calendar has been published and is available here.
Health & Safety Measures
We anticipate the need to continue with some level of health and safety mitigation efforts in the 2021–2022 school year, in addition to our expectation that faculty, staff, and students will be vaccinated. We are working to ensure the school’s policies reflect the most up-to-date guidance and research in support of a fully operational program. New York State Department of Health guidelines for the 2021-22 school year have not yet been released, so we are unable to share specifics at this time, but we expect that our protocols may include the following:
- Masks and face coverings in some settings and situations
- Continued air ventilation and filtration
- Physical distancing while seated indoors
- Rigorous cleaning and sanitizing Testing and health checks
Contact Assistant Head for School Life John Spear.