Northwood School is accepting applications for the following position. If interested in this position, please send a resume with a cover letter, references and an educational philosophy statement to Jill Walker, Dean of Faculty at email@example.com. No phone calls, please. An on-site interview is required. Criminal background checks are performed on all new hires. Review of applications will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Northwood School is an equal opportunity employer, and will not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.
Department Chair in Mathematics
Northwood School seeks to hire an energetic, creative and collaborative Mathematics Department Chair for the 2020-21 school year. The position includes teaching four sections of math. Additional responsibilities include living in or supervising a dormitory, serving as an advisor, and coaching or supervising an afternoon activity or sport for two seasons. Qualified candidates should have 3-5 years teaching experience and will preferably hold an advanced degree in mathematics. Candidates should also have strong organizational skills and be willing to work as part of a team with a commitment to an inclusive community.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Teaching four sections of math including AP Calculus, AP Statistics, and 1-2 sections of precalculus or calculus.
- Working closely with colleagues to further develop and implement a diverse and comprehensive curriculum,
- Leading department meetings and fulfilling other standard clerical duties normally associated with teaching and leading a department.
- Completing grades/comments, advisor letters, and other forms of academic communication in a timely, professional manner.
- Leading or assisting with an afternoon activity or sport in two of three seasons.
- Overseeing dormitory duty one night per week and weekends as assigned.
- Attending all school functions: faculty meetings, assemblies, formal dinners, and other special events.
- Promoting the development of character, community, and curiosity in all dealings with students, including enforcing school rules.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of three years teaching experience.
- An advanced degree in mathematics is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- A commitment to an inclusive community.